Common Sense Media....
Discovering Set Of Tools And Resources For Parents
One well known site for promoting proper digital citizenship is Common Sense Media, a nonprofit dedicated to promoting the ethical and proper use of technology by kids.. Common Sense Media believes in strong partnerships between home and school. It is for this reason that Common Sense has designed a FREE program to help parents and caregivers navigate and discuss the impact of digital media on kids' social, emotional, and intellectual development. Using resources based on their K-12 Digital Literacy and Citizenship Curriculum, educators and parents, together, can empower young people to harness the power of the Internet and digital technology for learning and life -- both in the classroom and at home. Explore the Common Sense Home Page with these five ideas that just might help you get started The ideas below are a reprint from the Common Sense Media Site. Read the site in its entirety at Common Sense Medias Parent Site.
- Host a Family Engagement Night - Use this Outreach Kit, a collection of turnkey resources (flyers, quiz, presentations & scripts), to reach out to families about the digital world and how kids engage in it.
- Share Advice - Videos Spark a conversation about current topics around parenting and media use with these Advice Videos. Filter your search by topic to find videos (in English or in Spanish) that best address your community’s needs.
- Distribute Family Tip Sheets - Provide advice about current issues related to the age-appropriate topics we address in our K-12 Digital Literacy and Citizenship Curriculum with our actionable Family Tip Sheets, available in both English and Spanish.
- Share Family Resources - Encourage families to discuss expectations for media and technology use at home with our Family Media Agreements, establish guidelines for responsible device care using our Customizable Device Contract, and discover the best learning products through Learning Ratings.
- Keep Families In-the-KnowConnect your families to Making Sense, Common Sense Media’s blog full of expert advice and common sense ideas about parenting, media, and everything in between. Embed the Blog Widget or include the link, the RSS feed, or content snippets in your weekly newsletters, school website, or within any other communication method you use with families.